Friday, June 18, 2010

Boys, Beach, Creation, and the Image of God

Yesterday, I spent a day at Pike Lake beach with my boys.  They had a wonderful time.  It was a beautiful day--warm in the sun and nice in the shade (I was sitting in the shade).  As I watched I couldn't help but think about God, his creation, and my boys being made in his image.   While I was watching them, I was struck with the fact that humanity is happiest when they are reflecting our Creator God.  Keegan was all smiles as he was creating his sand angels (think snow angel).  All three of the boys were laughing and giggling and carrying on as they were creating castles, and motes, and houses, and mountains, and sand soup.  Additionally, all three of the boys were playing with new and old friends (friends from the t-ball team) on the beach.  (Isn't it amazing with young kids there is no in and out group--they just enjoy each other's company.)  It is no surprise that these our some of my happiest memories of childhood as well.  Why?  I believe it is because we are created and in God's image and derive the most joy out of life when we are reflecting that image.  God is a God of relationship.  He is in perfect relationship with the members of the God-head.  What's more, God created humankind to have a relationship with them.  My boys were just reflect the image of our relationship God.  The weren't old enough to have the many things that encumber adult relationships.  Even more, my boys were reflecting our Creative God.  Just think of everything God created.  My boys, it seems, were creating hundreds of things there on the beach with their friends.  Oh to be like kids!  Not to be stilted and rejected in relationships that keep us or makes us slow to develop relationships.  I am sure this is why there are so many adults in and outside the church that have a hard time establishing and maintaining their relationship with God.  And shouldn't we all be stoked about creating things (lines in our yard as we mow, our gardens and landscaping, woodworking (I made a corn hole board a year ago), and. ...etc.  Sometimes I see these things as work, but most of the time I enjoy them like my boys liked creating at the beach--because I am made in the image of a creative God that likes to create.

No comments:

Post a Comment